When is a family roast ‘A Family Roast’? When you sit at the table as a family to enjoy it. Recently one of my Townsville families came to visit up The Atherton Tablelands — 2000 feet above sea level and 5-10C cooler compared to Townsville. I pondered on the first evening meal together. I wanted something that ticked all the boxes in nutrition, health, wholesomeness and easy to prepare.
Immediately, the good ole reliable , never-fail, family roast sprung to mind. Springing into action, I washed, scrubbed and cut up the veggies. I slit the blade roast with garlic cloves. In about 1/2hr the prepping was done. I popped all three trays full of veggies and roast (in oven bag) into the preset oven and waited for it to do the rest.
Except when I was making sure all should work, it didn’t start by itself.
Big Hint: Remember the digital/24hour time on the timer works in 24 hours. My roast would not have started until 3:30am. Otherwise, starting it manually will definitely work.
- 2kg blade roast (serves 8)
- 8 med white potatoes
- 8 pieces pumpkin
- 4 zucchini
- 4 onions
- garlic cloves
- Oven Bag (keeps tray clean and use juices for gravy)
Method – Vegetables
- Set oven 170C. Preset oven to start at 3:30pm (15:30) end at 6:00pm (18:00)
- Wash, scrub and drain vegetables.
- Cut potatoes in half and microwave high 10mins.
- Peel vegetables (if needed, otherwise scrub clean)
- Garnish vegetables with oil, salt and rosemary.
- Place vegetables in oiled trays or glad bake paper on trays.
- *Careful to slowly open hot oven, as the steam can burn — keep face clear.
Method – Meat
- Defrost roast. Do not cook part-frozen
- Insert garlic in slits on top of roast.
- Garnish with oil, rosemary and salt.
- Place in Oven Bag (catches juices for gravy).
- Cook altogether for about 2.5hrs at 170C.
- Pour juices from Oven Bag into saucepan.
- Blend 2 tablespoons plain flour in 1/4 cup tap water until smooth.
- Add to warming juices, the floury water and boil in saucepan.
- Stir for a few minutes. When thickened, it’s ready to serve.
2 thoughts on “Family Roast & Veggies”
That looks both amazing and delicious Maria! Thank you for sharing. What a delightful aroma there must have been. Yummo. Denyse #teamIBOT
LikeLiked by 1 person
There certainly was. Nothing than homemade cooking.